Wednesday, November 30, 2011

0251.txt

date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 09:58:00 -0700
from: Darrell Kaufman <Darrell.KaufmanatXYZxyz.edu>
subject: Re: 2k Arctic synthesis
to: Keith Briffa <k.briffaatXYZxyz.ac.uk>

<x-flowed>
Keith:
Thanks for the update. I'd like to revise the composite proxy record
over the weekend (my only spare time). Can I assume that I need to
omit the three tree-ring series that I took from Mann et al. (2008)
because they were not processed to retain the low frequency signal,
and that I should replace the Euraisan series with the three from
your recent Phil Trans paper (using the data on your website)?

If you agree, I can work on revising all of the calculations and
figures and we can modify the text early next week.

Would that work?
Darrell


On Mar 6, 2009, at 9:52 AM, Keith Briffa wrote:

> Darrell
> REALLY sorry - have not done this yet - had back
> to back meetings for 2 days and am due to leave
> now for the weekend - couple of days away from
> computer - my comments are nothing earth
> shattering or voluminous but I would still like
> to make them for your consideration. I will try
> to do this on Monday now - if too late - just ignore me . Sorry again
> Keith
>
> thanks for your consideration
> cheers
> Keith
>
> At 15:01 03/03/2009, you wrote:
>> Keith:
>> I appreciate your willingness to squeeze this in on such short
>> notice. If you could get your comments to me by the end of the week,
>> that would be more than I had hoped for. Thank you. Darrell
>>
>>
>> On Mar 3, 2009, at 7:56 AM, Keith Briffa wrote:
>>
>>> Darrell
>>> I would like to make some comments but the
>>> earliest I can get to this is Thursday (we have
>>> visitors here all day tomorrow. In short I would
>>> like to be involved - but I would rather wait and
>>> see the basis of your reaction to my initial
>>> thoughts when I get a Tracked changes version
>>> back to you. You are correct that there are
>>> clear limitations in the preservation of trend
>>> over two millennia in SOME of the data Mann et al
>>> used - and in the current series you cite for
>>> Yamal (Hantemirov et al) . I do believe that the
>>> composite series in our Phil Trans paper is a
>>> convenient representation of the circum-western
>>> Eurasian Arctic tree-line data - though the Grudd
>>> and Nauzbaev papers are virtually similar to our
>>> data for their areas. However I have a few
>>> reservations/comments on other aspects of the
>>> manuscript that I believe any likely referee
>>> might pick up on . Is it ok to wait til Thursday
>>> or will this not be acceptable for getting
>>> comments back? I know how these time lines are crucial. Best wishes
>>> Keith
>>>
>>> At 14:15 02/03/2009, you wrote:
>>>> Hello Keith:
>>>> Following the recommendations of Malcolm and Phil (via Ray), it's
>>>> clear that I should have come to you sooner. I am now well along
>>>> on a
>>>> manuscript that summarizes 2000-year-long proxy temperature records
>>>> from the Arctic (attached). The impetus for the paper is the new
>>>> compilation of high-resolution lake records that my group recently
>>>> published in J Paleolimnology.
>>>>
>>>> On the tree-ring side, it's clear to me now that I should not have
>>>> used the series from the Mann et al. compilation, and I hadn't see
>>>> your 2008 Phil Trans paper until just last week. As far as I can
>>>> tell, the only records that meet the criteria for this study are
>>>> your
>>>> three new RCS series from Eurasia and D'Arrigo's Gulf of Alaska
>>>> record. Apparently, none of the Malcolm's series in Mann et al.
>>>> were
>>>> processed in a way that would preserve the millennial trend, and
>>>> these should be omitted from the synthesis.
>>>>
>>>> I now need to substantially revamp the manuscript. Before I do, I
>>>> want to be sure that I get it right this time and hope that you
>>>> will
>>>> be interested in joining as co-author to help guide the tree-ring
>>>> component of the synthesis. I see that you have posted the Phil
>>>> Trans
>>>> data on your website, but would much prefer to have your
>>>> involvement
>>>> before using the data.
>>>>
>>>> Unfortunately, the timing for submission is an issue. I am
>>>> leading a
>>>> 12-PI proposal that is currently pending and would benefit
>>>> greatly if
>>>> this paper were accepted for publication.
>>>>
>>>> Please have a look at the manuscript, which I realize needs
>>>> substantial revisions, and let me know if you have time and
>>>> interest
>>>> in getting involved.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>> Darrell
>>>> 
>>>>
>>>> Darrell S. Kaufman
>>>> Professor of Geology and Environmental Sciences
>>>> Northern Arizona University
>>>> 928-523-7192
>>>> http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~dsk5/
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Hello Keith:
>>>> Following the recommendations of Malcolm and
>>>> Phil (via Ray), it's clear that I should have
>>>> come to you sooner. I am now well along on a
>>>> manuscript that summarizes 2000-year-long proxy
>>>> temperature records from the Arctic (attached).
>>>> The impetus for the paper is the new compilation
>>>> of high-resolution lake records that my group
>>>> recently published in J Paleolimnology.
>>>>
>>>> On the tree-ring side, it's clear to me now that
>>>> I should not have used the series from the Mann
>>>> et al. compilation, and I hadn't see your 2008
>>>> Phil Trans paper until just last week. As far as
>>>> I can tell, the only records that meet the
>>>> criteria for this study are your three new RCS
>>>> series from Eurasia and D'Arrigo's Gulf of
>>>> Alaska record. Apparently, none of the Malcolm's
>>>> series in Mann et al. were processed in a way
>>>> that would preserve the millennial trend, and
>>>> these should be omitted from the synthesis.
>>>>
>>>> I now need to substantially revamp the
>>>> manuscript. Before I do, I want to be sure that
>>>> I get it right this time and hope that you will
>>>> be interested in joining as co-author to help
>>>> guide the tree-ring component of the synthesis.
>>>> I see that you have posted the Phil Trans data
>>>> on your website, but would much prefer to have
>>>> your involvement before using the data.
>>>>
>>>> Unfortunately, the timing for submission is an
>>>> issue. I am leading a 12-PI proposal that is
>>>> currently pending and would benefit greatly if
>>>> this paper were accepted for publication.
>>>>
>>>> Please have a look at the manuscript, which I
>>>> realize needs substantial revisions, and let me
>>>> know if you have time and interest in getting involved.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>> Darrell
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Darrell S. Kaufman
>>>> Professor of Geology and Environmental Sciences
>>>> Northern Arizona University
>>>> 928-523-7192
>>>> <http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~dsk5/>http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~dsk5/
>>>
>>> --
>>> Professor Keith Briffa,
>>> Climatic Research Unit
>>> University of East Anglia
>>> Norwich, NR4 7TJ, U.K.
>>>
>>> Phone: +44-1603-593909
>>> Fax: +44-1603-507784
>>>
>>> http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/people/briffa/
>>
>> --
>> Professor Keith Briffa,
>> Climatic Research Unit
>> University of East Anglia
>> Norwich, NR4 7TJ, U.K.
>>
>> Phone: +44-1603-593909
>> Fax: +44-1603-507784
>>
>> http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/people/briffa/
>

</x-flowed>

No comments:

Post a Comment