Sunday, June 17, 2012

5250.txt

date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 14:18:38 +0100
from: Olive Heffernan <heffernan.oliveatXYZxyzglemail.com>
subject: Re: Piece for CRU web site
to: "P.Jones@uea.ac.uk" <P.JonesatXYZxyz.ac.uk>

Hi Phil,

Ok, thanks for clarifying that. When will the url to the agreements go online?

Best
Olive

On 09/08/2009, P.JonesatXYZxyz.ac.uk <P.JonesatXYZxyz.ac.uk> wrote:
> Olive,
> I did send some of the data to a person working
> with Peter Webster at Georgia Tech. The email wasn't to
> PW, but he was in the CC list. I don't know how
> McIntyre found out, but I thought this was a personal
> email. This was one of the first times I'd sent
> some data to a fellow scientist who wasn't at the
> Hadley Centre. As I said I have taken pity on African
> and Asian PhD students who wanted some temperature and precipitation
> data for their country. The email has only gotten me grief,
> so this is another reason for being much less helpful to
> people emailing CRU. This goes against my nature, but
> I've been driven to it. You'd better not say this, otherwise
> McIntyre will request the emails where to prove I've been
> unhelpful!
>
> I should have just said to the GA person - use GHCN, like I do to
> everyone else.
>
> I also don't see why I should help people, I don't want to work
> with and who spend most of their time critisising me.
>
> Years ago I did send much paleo data to McIntyre but have also
> had nothing but criticism on his blog ever since. As I said,
> this criticism on blog sites is not the way to do science.
> If they want to engage, they have to converse in civil tones,
> and if people don't want to work with them, they have to respect
> that and live with it.
>
> Cheers
> Phil
>
> > Hi Phil,
> >
> > Thanks so much for that. I have one other question: McIntyre claims
> > that you sent data to Peter Webstre at Georgia Tech, but that you
> > would not supply him with the same data. Is that true, and if so, what
> > was the reasoning?
> >
> > Best,
> > Olive
> >
> >
> >
> > On 07/08/2009, Phil Jones <p.jonesatXYZxyz.ac.uk> wrote:
> >> Here it is. There will be a link to the agreements - which are
> >> attached.
> >> Files won't go up with these names. You should recognize one of these
> >> - the data agreement between the Met Office and NERC.
> >>
> >> Met Services appear want to be able to sell data commercially.
> >> As I said some has more value than other types of data. Most
> >> put in clauses separating academic from commercial use.
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >>
> >> Phil
> >>
> >>
> >> Prof. Phil Jones
> >> Climatic Research Unit Telephone +44 (0) 1603 592090
> >> School of Environmental Sciences Fax +44 (0) 1603 507784
> >> University of East Anglia
> >> Norwich Email p.jonesatXYZxyz.ac.uk
> >> NR4 7TJ
> >> UK
> >> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >
>
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment